What happens when Independence Day and Back to School happen in the same week?
I woke up this morning thinking through what craft idea to pursue today. Since today is the 119th Independence Day of the Philippines, I wanted it to take on the color scheme of our beloved flag. At the same time, it's also Back to School for both my kids so why not merge both important events into a fun and easy greeting card?
Red, blue, white and yellow cardstock
Silhouette sketch pen in metallic black
Cricut A2 embossing folder
Glitter chipboard embellishments
Square foam stickers
Silhouette Portrait die-cut machine
Sizzix Texture Boutique embossing machine
Self-healing cutting mat
How to make it
1. Cut a standard A2 size greeting card (5 1/2" x 4 1/4") from the red and blue cardstock, either with a vertical or horizontal fold.
2. Get various pieces of paper - solid and printed - that coordinates with the color of the theme. Cut them up in different smaller rectangles or squares to be layered later on the front of the card.
3. Using the Silhouette Portrait die-cut machine, sketch the year (2017) using a font of your choice and cut out on a crest shape. Fill in with a silver pen.
4. Using a contrasting color, sketch the words "Welcome back!" using the sketch pen and cut out on a banner shape.
1. Layer all pieces of paper one on top of the other and see how to orient the pieces so they look shabbily arranged (instead of perfectly put together). Orienting the sheets in different directions gives the card more character.
2. Use a combination of double sided adhesive tape and 3D glue dots or foam tape to raise some pieces. This works well with the crest and banner shapes.
3. Wrap everything with red yarn to give it another dimension and introduce a non-paper element into your card.
Stick onto the front of the base card.
On the inside of the card, you can add other elements such as pencils and pennant banners to make the inside more festive. If you do this, be sure to line the inside first with a plain piece of cardstock or paper, leaving around a fourth of an inch border for contrast. Be sure to have coordinating envelopes to package your cards.
Did you create something to celebrate Independence Day &/or back to school? Share them on IG #rockpapercrafts ♥